Whether you are just starting to get in shape or you want to break your current plateau, 2017 will bring you plenty of trends to help you get in the best shape of your life. No matter where you are at in your fitness journey, if you want to stay on top of your fitness game, jump on one of these hot trends for the upcoming year and get into the best shape of your life!
Many of these trends have been catching on already like HIIT and wearable technology. You can combine some of these trends to create your own workout regimen if you want to break the monotony and start 2017 with a bang.
Here at Fittco we have identified some of the hottest fitness trends that will have the most impact on overall health and fitness for 2017.
There is no shortage of wearables on the market today. You’re probably already familiar with the Fitbit thanks to those catchy commercials on TV. Wearables help you achieve overall health by tracking activity, weight, diet and even sleep. These stylish and comfortable wearables can even monitor your heart-rate – keeping you in your target zone and on the path to successful weight loss.
Some wearables to check out:
- Jawbone UP2 Activity Tracker – Where performance meets style. Track your activity with this sleek stylish bracelet. Bonus points to Jawbone for making a tracker that looks like a casual bracelet perfect for men and women.
- Garmin Vivofit 3 – This activity tracker reminds you to stay active with a move bar and audible alerts. It also shows steps, calories, distance and time of day on backlit display and monitors sleep.
- Fitbit Charge 2 – Heart Rate + Fitness Wristband – This super sleek tracker not only helps you stay active throughout the day, but also helps track sleep quality too.
High Intensity Interval Training
High intensity interval training – also known as HIIT – is a form of exercise that combines intervals of intense aerobic activity with brief intervals of a recovery period. This type of workout is usually 5-30 minutes long. It’s great if you want to see maximum results with limited time to dedicate to your workouts. Keep in mind- during the intense intervals of your workout; you have to take it to a new level – giving more than 100% to see results. If you want to give this type of a workout a go, head over to your smartphones app store and find a HIIT or Tabata timer. Try it out with sprints. An excellent program to try is Couch-to-5k. This program alternates sprinting with walking or jogging – helping you reach your goal of running a 5k through the use of HIIT.
On Demand Live-Stream Classes
The future is upon us. Thanks to the rise of livestream video, it is no longer necessary to live in a major urban area to gain access to exciting new fitness classes. You are now able to bring the class to wherever you are in the world with the click of a button. Next time you are tempted to stream Netflix, switch over and go for an intense, body-changing workout instead!
Livestream workouts are the latest thing in the digital fitness trend: before we had simple DVD workouts, followed by the more recent streaming workouts. The rise of livestream workouts comes as livestreaming use has skyrocketed thanks to programs such as Periscope and Facebook Live.
Everyday there are new brands and businesses entering the on-demand fitness niche with the goals of transforming your location into a makeshift gym. While livestreaming isn’t yet in use across the board, the shift is predicted to happen in the near future.
Body Weight Training
Body weight training is great if you don’t have access to a lot of workout equipment. These exercises also have a much lower risk of injury because you’re not using an external source of weight – which could be more than you can handle. This type of exercise can also help you maintain a lower body far percentage all year round – eliminating the need for bulking phases. These exercises are generally grouped into 4 classes: Push, Pull, Core and Legs/Glutes.
- Push – Body-weight exercises that use push motions to lift and push body-weight. Examples of these types of exercises include push ups, dips, lunges, and mountain climbers.
- Pull – This type of body-weight exercise uses pulling motions. Pull-ups, towel curls and claw exercises are all good examples of this type of body-weight exercise.
- Core – Core exercises are pretty self-explanatory. They work your core muscles. These types include crunches, planks and leg lifts – all of which target your abdominals, obliques and back muscles.
- Legs/Glutes – Leg and Glute body weight exercises include squats, standing side leg lifts, hip extensions and calf raises. This type of exercise targets your thighs, calf and glute muscles.
Strength Training will never go out of style, that’s why it made this year’s list of trends. The results speak for themselves. In 2017, strength training is still at the top of the list for best ways to achieve your fitness goals. Hop on over to the gym and hit up your favourite machines and free weights!
Fitness Programs for Older Adults
Getting active is a great idea for people of any age. In 2017 we are sure to see an emergence in fitness programs for older adults. It may seem that many new programs are geared toward millennials, but fear not! There are excellent programs available for older adults, and with the help of fitness trackers and personal trainers, you are sure to find something suitable for your needs.
Smartphone Exercise Apps
There is no shortage of fitness apps available for your smartphone. You can find weight training regimes, aerobic timers and more – all geared towards keeping you on the move. Use these in combination with your favourite motivational music to get fit in the New Year! Some great apps to check out:
- Workout Trainer – This app (available on Android and iOS) offers thousands of free videos with instructions to help you get in shape at home.
- JEFIT – This app is awesome if you’re interested in adding weight training workouts into your program. Search by the body part you want to work out and choose from a number of exercises to target that area. Check it out on Android and iOS.
- FitStar – This is an iOS exclusive right now, but if you own an iPhone, you’re in luck! This app matches you with programs that work for your current fitness capabilities – making it great for those just getting started. Find programs that fit into your schedule and meet your goals. It’s almost like a personal trainer in your pocket!
Certified & Experienced Fitness Professionals
You can’t beat training under the supervision of fitness professional. There are tons of certified and experienced fitness professionals out there you can seek guidance from; you just need to find the right one to suit your specific needs. Find a professional in your area with the knowledge and experience to help get you into supreme shape.
Outdoor Functional Fitness
Working out isn’t limited to intense, sweat-inducing aerobic exercise. Many smartphones today have pedometers built in to help track your activity. Pop your phone in your pocket and walk your dog. Strive to meet step goals just by changing up your daily routine a bit. Park farther away from the grocery store or mall entrance. Opt to take the stairs instead of the elevator. It’s the little things that count, and tracking them in 2017 has never been easier.
This blends in perfectly with being a certified and experienced fitness professionals. If you hit a plateau in 2016, teaming up with a personal trainer might be the best way to break through and take your training to the next level. It’s also a great way to get started on your fitness journey. Find solutions to your target problem areas with customized options. Personal trainers possess a wealth of knowledge helping you skip the guess work and get started on the programs that are going to work the best for you in 2017.
Exercise and Weight Loss
The New Year is around the corner and with that comes many resolutions to exercise more and lose weight. Finding a diet regime and fitness program based on your goals and current body weight are easy to find and tailor to your schedule. You’ve probably heard the old adage “Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym”, well this is true for any type of weight loss goal. Track your food intake with one of the number of apps and programs available to make sure you’re consuming enough calories to power you through your workouts. Combine both exercise and diet to reach your goals faster in 2017.
Yoga has been a popular exercise for several years now. Yoga not only brings physical fitness but emotional fitness as well. There are numerous forms of Yoga available – from beginner classes to more intense classes – it’s easy to find a form that meets your current ability. Stretch and balance your way to a healthier you in 2017. Different types of Yoga to try:
- Bikram Yoga – This comprehensive form of Yoga utilizes body weight and stretching principals to help you lose weight and improve posture, balance and more.
- Hatha – This form of Yoga is excellent for beginners. This is an easy to learn form which is not only beneficial to your body but to your mind as well. Relax your way to a better body.
- Power Yoga – If you are seeking maximum intensity for your Yoga workout – opt for power Yoga sessions. These classes focus on body-weight training in combination with balance training. These are generally good for more experienced Yoga practitioners.
Other 2017 Fitness Trends Include:
The trends mentioned above are just a glimpse of what you can expect to see in 2017. Some other great trends to check out in the New Year are.
- Group Personal Training – Get motivated in a group setting! Group training is great if you are just getting started on your fitness journey. It helps you hold yourself accountable for your goals.
- Work-site Health Promotion – Many employers are beginning to encourage healthier lifestyles! More and more employers are offering gym discounts and even bringing the gym to work!
- Wellness Coaching – More than just working out – wellness coaches trains your mind and body.
- Outdoor Activities – Get fit walking the dog, playing disc golf and other fun activities you don’t generally think of as exercise. Just get outside and move! Other outdoor activities on the rise are race obstacle courses like the “Tough Mudder Race” and “Zombie 5k -Run for your life”. Wade through mud filled obstacles or run from zombies – all on your path to a healthier lifestyle.
- Sport-Specific Training – Whether you are a professional athlete or just the hobby sports player, this is great if you love a particular sport and want to improve your recreational skills.
- Flexibility and Mobility Rollers – We are sure to see a surge of more devices like the foam roller, that offers low impact solutions to roll your way to a better body.
- Circuit Training – Circuit training is making a comeback in a big way. You can’t go wrong with a program that targets all of the major muscle groups and that over time has proven to be super effective. It’s also a great way to include weight training and aerobic training – keeping you from getting bored mid-workout.
- Core Training – The best way to improve your overall athletic ability is to strengthen your core. You can’t build a house on a crummy foundation and you can’t build your dream body without a strong core.
- Outcome Measurements – You may already know that the scale isn’t always the best way to monitor your fitness progress. Take measurements before starting a new routine and record them at the end to see your overall progression. You will see measurement changes long before you see results on the scale. This can be helpful if you find yourself losing motivation because the numbers on your scale aren’t moving.
Don’t confuse these trends with fads. Fads fade out after a time and usually aren’t picked up again. Trends catch on and continually build up a following because they produce high-quality results.
We have heard what the professionals think – what trends do YOU think we can expect to see in 2017? Are any of these trends already included in your workout regime?
What would you add to the list?